Career / job options available to international students at Rotman School of Management
In part 2 of this interview, Ponna is now a second year student at Rotman School of Management. I caught up him to learn about the culture, recruitment, and what careers / jobs a student can pursue at one of Canada’s leading business schools.
If you haven’t yet watched the interview on how to get into the Rotman MBA program with a scholarship, watch Rotman MBA interview part 1
Key lessons from the interview:
Initial days of the Rotman MBA program
- [1:16] What to expect in the first few months of Rotman MBA program?
- [2:51] What the school focuses on – i.e., academics and recruiting.
- [4:51] His career aspirations in the initial months after joining Rotman (for all those interested in the Finance sector)
Finance, Consulting & Tech recruiting at Rotman School of Management
- [6:57] What are the finance opportunities available for students at Rotman?
- [8:18] What are the consulting opportunities available for students at Rotman?
- [10:19] What are the tech opportunities available for students at Rotman?
- [12:00] How Ponna landed a Buy-Side investment role.
- [13:25] Are finance-specific courses more preferred by employers for students interested in pursuing a Finance career?
Transition to Online classes during Covid-19
- [14:29] How has networking changed during internships or full-time recruitment since the transition to online classes?
- [16:46] How has Rotman facilitated the transition to going fully online after the pandemic hit lives?
Landing your post-MBA job at Rotman, and the school’s culture
- [18:58] Ponna shares how he landed his internship role
- [21:31] A key insight that Ponna picked up at Rotman’s Career Center.
- [23:01] How many conversations do you need to have to land one internship offer.
- [24:23] The current job market for MBA candidates in Canada.
- [28:06] The proportion of international students who got internships versus full-time offers in 2020.
- [33:29] Ponna talks about his overall MBA experience at Rotman and the culture of Rotman MBA
- [37:07] Closing advice on how to prepare well for the job market.
Want to get into top MBA programs?
Understand how we can work together and get in touch with me here