How an Indian with the goal of creating a social enterprise ended up as an Investment Banker on Wall Street after graduating from Ross.
In this interview Sachin will share some unique advice on succeeding at networking in business schools, how to recruit for Investment Banking from Ross School of Business, his failures during the MBA applications process, and how to secure an admit MBA admit from Michigan Ross School of Business
Key lessons from this interview:
MBA application process
- Why Indians who want to change the world may be hurting their chances of getting an MBA admit.
- The mistakes Sachin made during his MBA application to top 10 schools, and the candid advice he has for Indian applicants when thinking about their applications.
- The pitfalls to avoid during the admissions process, particularly when writing MBA essays.
- The key to getting into MBA programs, and the research that Indians need to do to write successful MBA essays.
- Why you don’t need a world-changing vision in order to get into a top MBA program, and how to think about your short-term and long-term career goals instead.
MBA journey & recruiting for Investment Banking
- What really drives business school rankings, and what may be the most important factor in your essays and interviews that the admissions committee evaluates.
- How Sachin chose Investment Banking as a career after joining business school, and how you can get into investment banking from any school.
- Who the most influential people in business school are, and why you need to care about them if you want to interview with banks in any top MBA program.
Networking & more networking advice for Indians
- The harsh truth for Indians going to business school and how they can improve their networking skills.
- What is the Airport Test, and why every interviewer (MBA interviewers and recruiters) cares about this test.
- The strange advice he has for Indians for cultural integration in other countries, and how you can prepare yourself for social success once you get an MBA admit.
- How Sachin dealt with the competing priorities (recruiting, academic, and social), and what you need to sacrifice to get an Investment Banking job at most business schools.
One last thing before you go…
If you’ve been rejected by an MBA program, we specialize in helping people reapply. The first thing we do is a DING analysis to help you figure out what you can do better next time. If that’s you, start by accessing the self-assessment here.