How to get into University of Oxford’s Said Business School MBA program?
Learn how to write compelling Oxford MBA essays and crack the MBA admissions process
Key lessons from the interview:
BACKGROUND AND WHY MBA
- [1:00] Jayanth’s academic and professional background and interest in impact investing pre-MBA
- [4:00] Why Jayanth made a decision to not pursue an MBA initially, and why he decided to work a few years more before pursuing an MBA
- [6:20] The extracurriculars that Jayanth pursued during his professional career, and how it related to his interests & strengths
- [8:00] The importance of a track record of contribution & extracurriculars throughout your life, and its importance in the MBA admissions process
ASSESSING FIT WITH MBA PROGRAMS
- [10:10] Jayanth’s journey to learning about MBA programs through conversations with MBA alumni and attending information sessions
- [12:30] How Jayanth made a list of schools that will fit with this career aspirations
- [13:30] Do MBA school rankings matter more than fit with the MBA programs, and Jayanth’s criteria for selecting schools
OXFORD MBA ESSAYS AND THE INTERVIEW PROCESS
- [17:20] Walkthrough of MBA application process and MBA essays at Oxford Said Business School
- [18:00] Detailed breakdown on how to showcase fit with Oxford Said Business School’s Mission
- [21:15] How Jayanth answered the MBA essay on what value he can add to Oxford Said Business School
- [22:30] What the Oxford MBA interview process is like, and how to go the extra mile (no pun intended:)) to ace the interview?
- [25:10] Few tactics on how to leave a lasting impression during your interview?
OXFORD MBA CULTURE AND EXPERIENCE
- [29:00] Breakdown of key statistics of diversity at Oxford
- [29:45] What Oxford is looking for in its MBA applicants and what you need to know about the culture at Said Business School
- [31:45] What cultural and professional diversity can you expect in a class at Said Business School
- [34:45] What is the Oxford Business Network and insights into the incredible student leadership opportunities that Oxford offers for its students
- [39:00] The key traits necessary to be successful at building a career upon graduating from Oxford, and how to make a job switch successfully
- [40:30] The unique college system at University of Oxford and the networking opportunities it provides for its MBA students
RECRUITING AT OXFORD SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL
- [41:30] How does recruiting work at Oxford, especially for students looking at Consulting and Investment Banking careers post-MBA
- [43:30] Important advice from Jayanth on when to begin networking and how to be successfully get a job during or after the Oxford Said MBA
- [44:45] What you can do to prepare for the recruiting pressures immediately after getting an admit from MBA programs?
- [47:00] The career and placement statistics at Oxford Said, and why social entrepreneurship as a career path is so popular at Oxford
- [49:30] The various scholarship opportunities available to students pursuing social entrepreneurship at Oxford Said
- [50:30] Jayanth’s favorite professors for those interested in pursuing a career in social entrepreneurship
HOW TO CROWDFUND YOUR MBA EDUCATION
- [53:00] The financing opportunities available for international students with organisations like Prodigy Finance [see here]
- [54:00] How Jayanth used his experience in venture capital to commoditize himself and privately crowdsource a part of his MBA education
- [55:10] How he created a pitch to seek investors in his MBA education. Read Jayanth’s article on crowdfunding the MBA
ADVICE FOR INTERNATIONAL MBA APPLICANTS
- [58:20] Advice for Indian MBA applicants on stepping out of your comfort zone and being proactive in your approach towards the MBA experience
- [1:00:20] Advice on cultivating an entrepreneurial spirit and becoming a better version of yourself everyday
One last thing before you go…
If you’ve been rejected by an MBA program, we specialize in helping people reapply. The first thing we do is a DING analysis to help you figure out what you can do better next time. If that’s you, start by accessing the self-assessment here.